Saturday, June 23, 2012

Homemade Natural Fruit Chillers or Freeze Pops

   My kids love "freeze pops". You know, the ones in the plastic that are basically an IV drip of sugar into their bodies. I haven't bought them for years, but the other day we were on our way home from town in our van without A/C and the kids were just dying. I stopped at the gas station, poured water on their heads :), and bought them freeze pops! It got us home in one piece. 
   At the grocery store I saw the Del Monte Fruit Chillers in the canned fruit section. It's a base of pear with added sugar, flavors, pectin, and colors. A more healthy option but I thought I could do better. Especially since the canned fruit in 100% juice next to it is only $1. I grabbed some to see what I could come up with. 
First, I had to figure out how to package them. The magic is in the package with freeze pops. I just got a vacuum sealer at a yard sale, so I tried to use the vacuum sealer plastic to make some little plastic tubes. It worked, but since I know that plastic is expensive, I came up with another idea while I was working. Ziplock bags! I used cheap sandwich bags and sealed them into three separate tubes with the sealer. This worked great because the tops zip up to seal it when they're filled. Here's what I made!

Fruit Chillers
2 cans fruit cocktail or pears in 100% juice
A handful of strawberries
3 tsp Pomona's Universal Pectin, and 4 tsp calcium (included in package) water
Sugar to taste (I probably used 3 Tbsp.)

Puree fruit and sugar in food processor. Prepare the pectin with 3/4 cup boiling water and the calcium water (as per package instructions for freezer jam) it's very simple, really! The pectin makes the right texture for the frozen fruit, soft and not too icy. Pour the pectin mixture into the fruit and blend. Using a funnel, pour the fruit into the plastic bags and seal. Freeze several hours and enjoy! 

 


I offered my 4yo nephew a popsicle, and he said "I want a red one". I answered "Well, they're kind of red." Then he asked me where the stick was. After he slurped it down, he did NOT ask me where the extra sugar and fake colors were! All the kids loved their fruit chillers, and they got a good snack while getting cooled off. 
"When can I have one, Mom?"
Posted by Picasa
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. very clever! I'm going to have to do some Popsicle experiments because i love to eat them but i know they are so full of junk!

    ReplyDelete